Monday, December 1, 2008

Over the Thanksgiving Break


I travelled with a friend back to Arizona for the Break. She was nice enough to stop for her rock-geek passenger to see some ash fall and tuff units. This road cut is on the stretch of Highway 20 that connects I-15 with Highway 89, just southwest of Beaver, Utah. The geological map I looked at labeled volcanics of the region as Bullion Canyon volcanics. The lighter-colored units are ash deposits and the massive darker units are rhyolitic tuff.

The ash units contain concretions.


A real treat on the way back north was the slight detour to see horseshoe bend just outside of Page, Arizona. It's a very photogenic meander in the Colorado River. We got there just as light was fading after the sun had set. No, this picture isn't mine. But the one below it is. The meander is so deep that it's difficult to get the whole thing into one shot. I may try to piece my photos into a panorama.



No comments: